From Imprimis, Sarah Palin on Alaska’s promise for the nation. The Sarah Palin pity party: Everyone seems to be oozing sympathy for the fumbling vice-presidential nominee — please, cry me a freaking river. Paul Waldman on the coming conservative crack-up. An interview with Steven G. Calabresi, author of The Unitary Executive Presidential Power from Washington to Bush. By one reckoning, what politicians say in a debate accounts for only 10 per cent of their impact; it's the other 90 per cent that can secure or lose our vote. When all truth is relative: Conservatives play a dangerous game in attacking the media for bias. My Team vs. Your Team: The political arena lives up to its name. A new web site promises to answer "the only question that matters": Who's sexier — Democrats or Republicans? A look at three great social contractarians: Hobbes, Locke, and Blackbeard? Bailout marks Karl Marx's comeback: Marx’s Proposal Number Five seems to be the leading motivation for those backing the Wall Street bailout. From Dissent, who is really to blame for the financial troubles? Michael Walzer investigates; and whatever happened to the commonwealth? Robert Kuttner on Learning from 1929. Jose Stiglitz on a good day for democracy: Now Congress must draw up a proposal in which costs are borne by those who created the problem.

Advertisement