Richard L. Revesz and Matthew Shahabian (NYU): Climate Change and Future Generations. Would you get on a plane with a 10% chance of crashing? Penny Sackett doubts many would — yet on the key issues of climate change, the levels of certainty are closer to 90%. An interview with James Rodger Fleming on the history of climate change. Our use of Earth’s resources is growing even faster — where are population and consumption headed, and where do they need to be to sustain the systems that sustain us? A review of A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming by Paul N. Edwards. Do environmentalists and governments hold back sustainable lifestyles? An interview with Heather Rogers, author of Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy is Undermining the Environmental Revolution. Edward B. Barbier on his book A Global Green New Deal: Rethinking the Economic Recovery. The Holocene has been replaced by Anthropocene: A series of maps show how mankind remade nature. We have learned so much about our home planet in the three decades since James Lovelock wrote Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth; has the book stood the test of time? A review of The Ecological Thought by Timothy Morton. The answers to “How much should people sacrifice today for the benefit of those living several decades from now?” vary widely; people’s distaste for uncertainty — ambiguity aversion — favours immediate, rapid cuts in greenhouse gas emissions. With population and per-capita consumption both on the rise, it's hard to believe humanity's impact on the Earth is sustainable — but what would happen if we ate less meat, or gave women better education and more power? A review of Climatopolis: How Our Cities Will Thrive in the Hotter Future by Matthew Kahn.


Chen Mao-qing (ECNU): Women as “Dasein”: A Philosophical Approach to Maria Irene Fornes' Fefu and Her Friends. From Postcolonial Text, Masood Ashraf Raja (KSU): Salman Rushdie: Reading the Postcolonial Texts in the Era of Empire; and a review of Midnight’s Diaspora: Critical Encounters with Salman Rushdie. A look at six reasons why Argentina legalized gay marriage first. When the General Services Administration needed workers to clear brush from an overgrown hillside behind a federal courthouse in Pasadena, it decided to think outside the box — or, more accurately, think outside the species. A review of Emperor of the West: Charlemagne and the Carolingian Empire by Hywel Williams. Jagdish Bhagwati on how economists long ago put to rest Adam Smith’s error in arguing for the primacy of manufactures in a country’s economy, but the manufactures fetish recurs repeatedly. World's oldest animal fossils: Fossilised sponges dating from 650 million years ago add support to the theory that life kick-started Snowball Earth. The first chapter from What Is Meaning? by Scott Soames. An interview with Amanda H. Podany, author of Brotherhood of Kings: How International Relations Shaped the Ancient Near East. From New Left Review, Tom Hazeldine on the complicity of the International Crisis Group. Author Photo Smackdown: As usual, The L Magazine comes up with ever classier ways to engage with contemporary literature. Atlas Obscura visits Presidio Modelo, a series of five defunct panopticon prisons in Cuba. A review of The Kaiser’s Holocaust: Germany’s Forgotten Genocide and the Colonial Roots of Nazism by David Olusoga and Casper W Erichsen. The vanity of economists needs to be challenged — above all, their claim to scientific rigour, buttressed by models and equations, must be treated much more sceptically.


From The Root, job losses, game-changing technology, belt tightening — welcome to the topsy-turvy world of black media in 2010; and news flash: White people work at black magazines, too. Randall Kennedy on the enduring relevance of affirmative action: When diversity became a positive, race-based preferences overcame the backlash. More on Charles Ogletree's The Presumption of Guilt. Why do so many black women seem to accept Strong Black Womanhood as their natural calling, even if it’s detrimental to physical and emotional wellbeing? A review of Hubert Harrison: The Voice of Harlem Radicalism, 1883-1918 by Jeffrey B. Perry. A review of African American Writers and Classical Tradition by William W. Cook and James Tatum. Free the Black Looney Tunes: Yes, Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves and Uncle Tom's Bungalow contain racial stereotypes and have long been suppressed, but it's time to lift the censorship and enjoy their joyous art. How black people use Twitter: The latest research on race and microblogging. What does race have to do with it? John Hartigan Jr. is trying to make sense of our "national conversation". Those who needed to know about The Negro Motorist Green Book: An International Travel Guide knew about it — to much of the rest of America it was invisible, and by 1964, when the last edition was published, it slipped through the cracks into history. Does the black church keep black women single? A review of The History and Persecution of Black "Ghetto" Names by Khadijah McCaskill. Why the DEA needs Ebonics translators: Imagine a little old white lady in Boise transcribing a wiretapped conversation from The Wire — knowmsayin'? The Black Panthers' enduring influence on popular culture is to be marked with a concert at the Barbican — is the Black Panther legacy worth celebrating?


From Parrhesia, Thomas Lemke (Frankfurt): Foucault's Hypothesis: From the Juridico-Discursive Concept of Power to an Analytics of Government; Andrew Ryder (Emory): Inner Experience is not Psychosis: Bataille's Ethics and Lacanian Subjectivity; a review of The Event of the Thing: Derrida’s Post-Deconstructive Realism by Michael Marder; a review of Difference and Givenness: Deleuze’s Transcendental Empiricism and the Ontology of Immanence by Levi R. Bryant; and a panel on Reflections on Time and Politics by Nathan Widder. To defang Iran, and help Lebanon and Israel, we must demilitarize Hezbollah —which means we'll have to talk to them. Meet the NFL's Most Interesting Man: Five languages, two degrees and Romanian roots make New England's Zoltan Mesko one of a kind. From Social Policy, we are in an historical moment in which grassroots-led change has become a possibility again; a review of A Worker Justice Reader: Essential Writings on Religion and Labor by Interfaith Worker Justice; and do you think the flurry of canvasses, phone banks, house meetings, and demonstrations activists have been doing for the last few years is something called grassroots organizing? From National Defense magazine, here are five key questions about the Defense budget. The problem with fellatio: More young women report performing oral sex, and it's often without protection. Feeding grapes to cannibals: Richard Greenan on Tropicalia and the evolution of pop. Wiccans v. Creationists: An empirical study of how two systems of belief differ. An interview with Jennifer Ouellette, author of The Calculus Diaries: How Math Can Help You Lose Weight, Win in Vegas, and Survive a Zombie Apocalypse. Does Singer's “Famine, Affluence and Morality” inescapably commit us to his conclusion?


From Surveillance and Society, a special issue on surveillance, children and childhood. Annette Appell (WUSTL): Ghosts in the Postmodern Family. Menelaos Apostolou (Nicosia): Parent-Offspring Conflict over Mating: The Case of Mating Age. Snack bags and a regular paycheck — the happy life of a Swedish dad: The bliss of an 18-month, paid, Swedish paternity leave. From the Scavenger, AJ Zachary on why she helps teenagers get secret abortions. What happened to losing? Today's kids live in a world of scoreless games and trophies for everyone — when we cushion them from defeat at the early ages, are they less prepared to cope when real competition kicks in? Sex for beginners: A review of It's Perfectly Normal by Robie H. Harris. A review of Radical Homemaking: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture by Shannon Hayes and The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen. The Third Variable: Does sexualized media encourage sexual activity? From Touchstone, Mormon vampires in the Garden of Eden: John Granger on what the bestselling Twilight series has in store for young readers; bad books for kids: David Mills on a guide to the world of youth literature and what you can do about it; and Mark T. Mitchell on the oddity of giving children a moral imagination. Lindsay Beyerstein on the politics of teen sex stats. Doing Good and Doing Well: How do you teach virtue to a skeptical generation? A review of At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. A review of The iConnected Parent: Staying Connected to Your College Kids (and Beyond) While Letting Them Grow Up by Barbara K. Hofer and Abigail Sullivan Moore. A review of Sex and the American Teenager: Seeing through the Myths and Confronting the Issues by R. Murray Thomas. Are two Mommies better than a Mom-and-Dad combo?

Advertisement